The site is opposite the QVB and adjoins the back of the State Theatre Stage. Thanks to Matt and Mark for conducting this opportunity to view the archeology before the developer trashes it.
The archaeological excavations investigated occupation of the site from 1815 onwards. First a public house – the Golden Fleece – occupied the site and then a grocer and successive shops through the later 19th Century.
Over 1500 clay pipes were found and so far only 2 coins!